Sunday, October 9, 2011

Recipe? I Don't Need No Stinkin' Recipe!

So I decided to finally try cooking with seitan (a high-protein wheat meat substitute) and I wonder why I've been avoiding it for so long.  Turns out you don't even need to cook it, it's ready to eat right out of the package.  But considering it looks like dog food right out of the package, it's a good idea to do some doctoring to make it at least look appetizing!

This weekend I purchased some chunk-style seitan while at Mustard Seed.  I thought about finding a recipe, but thought, "Well, how hard could this be?" so I decided to channel my recent meal at Melt Bar and Grilled, and try my hand at making a fancy grilled sandwich.  I also picked up a really nice loaf of country-style bread while shopping and that made a really nice base for the sandwich.

I started by slicing then caramelizing three small onions (from my garden, of course!) in a bit of olive oil.


I then added the sliced seitan into the pan.  The seitan out of the package was in the shape of chunks, which didn't appeal to me, so I simply sliced them in order to appear more like sliced roast beef.  (I said appear...)


For flavor I added a few shakes of soy sauce, some ground pepper, and garlic powder.


Then in another pan I placed slices of the bread, buttered side down, in the pan to brown.  I added a handful of vegan mozzarella cheese (by Daiya, one of my new favorite vegan ingredients) to start to melt on the bread.


Then the seitan layer goes on top of the cheese, which helped to melt it.  Then squish it like a regular grilled cheese to get the layers combined.


Ta-Da!  My no-recipe seitan sammy.


It turned out to be really yummy.  I'm not going to hesitate to use it again it was so easy.  And the sandwich was very satisfying with a Killian's!

No comments: